Ottery retailer offers DIY safety tips for Easter
DON T become a DIY accident statistic this Easter, warns Ottery St Mary hardware retailer Chris Abbott.
DON'T become a DIY accident statistic this Easter, warns Ottery St Mary hardware retailer Chris Abbott.
"Every year there are around 70 deaths and 250,000 serious injuries related to DIY, with double the normal number of accidents over the Easter weekend," he said.
"But don't let this put you off, as long as you plan the job well and safely, DIY can be very rewarding, as well as adding value to your home."
Chris, from Abbotts DIY, which was awarded Britain's Best Hardware Retailer last December, said Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) said many were hurt by tackling jobs beyond their capabilities, and figures show most accidents are caused using ladders.
You may also want to watch:
To ensure his customers are safe this long weekend, Chris has come up with a few "golden rules":
* Have the right safety gear like goggles, masks and gloves.
- 1 Town's garden efforts on display at Chelsea Flower Show
- 2 East Devon reports rise in Covid cases
- 3 7 of the prettiest streets in Sidmouth
- 4 Can you hear me? Science festival will attempt a new tin can phone world record
- 5 The act of giving makes a big difference
- 6 Young surfer raising hundreds of pounds with sponsored beach clean
- 7 New gin launch helps raise funds for Tar Barrel tradition
- 8 Let's engage with youths to help keep environment clean
- 9 Lifeboat responds to two call-outs in one night
- 10 Initial findings show town's waterways are healthy
* When using electrical equipment fit a residual current device to cut off power supply if flexes are accidentally cut through.
* Put electrical cables behind you while working, don't let them kink or become frayed.
* Remember the 'one out, four up' rule when using a ladder to get it at its safest angle against the wall.
* Place ladders on firm ground and wear non-slip shoes. Never over-reach.
Chris said: "All of us here are highly trained, so hopefully we can help customers avoid any DIY disasters."
And in case you are wondering, Magnolia is still the most popular colour paint for walls.