Ottery’s first hill climb event takes place this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Cyclists are gearing up for Ottery’s inaugural hill climb on Sunday.
1st Chard Wheelers have organised the time trial which will see competitors race up Chineway Hill in the hope to claim a top prize of £350 and be named the first King and Queen of the mountain.
The race will start at 9am but spectators and riders are invited to have a big breakfast from 8am at participating restaurants in the town.
At 12.30pm, attentions will turn to the Land of Canaan for the first go ride cycling event.
There will be events for all the family including races, stalls, refreshments and demonstrations by the Exeter Aces speedway club and Urbanflow street dancing group.
You may also want to watch:
The event’s mascot, Daisy the climbing Jack Russell will also be at the event.
There will be a duck race at 3pm and an award ceremony at 4pm.
- 1 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 2 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 3 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 7 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 8 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
Josefina Gori, who has co-ordained the event, said; “The biggest satisfaction I have had is to see how many fathers, mothers are doing the time trial in the morning and sons and daughters are doing the Go-ride event in the afternoon. Just what the whole idea behind this event is: get families to enjoy the sport, what Ottery has to offer and the beautiful surroundings we have got.”
She also thanked the sponsors, businesses and residents for supporting the idea.