Ottery scouts and explorers have a riot in Holland
A GROUP of 48 scouts, explorers and leaders from Ottery enjoyed a nine-day adventure in Holland.
Young people aged from 10 to 17 took on a packed programme of activities including a visit to Amsterdam and the Anne Frank house, a bike ride from Rotterdam and a battlefield tour in Arnhem.
The trip, which saw the contingent travel by coach to the historic Kruithuis - formerly Holland’s gunpowder store, took a year to organise.
John Green, group scout Leader said: “It was a great shock when the group returned to the UK to hear of the devastation that befell many of our major cities, with young people running riot.
“Our trip emphasised to me the value and structure that organisations like scouting can provide.
You may also want to watch:
“We had 40 young people - many had a great deal of freedom on the days and nights we were in Holland - and we had no trouble whatsoever.
“The whole group was a credit to scouting.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
Joint organiser Chris Evans added: “The whole trip was a massive success and the young people got so much out of the experience.”
Parents will next month get a chance to see a presentation of what the party got up to during the trip.
Group members also enjoyed a visit to a ‘movie park’ in Germany and indoor and outdoor water park.
l Youngsters interested in joining Ottery’s scouts or explorers, or volunteers willing to help the organisation, can find details or complete an application form online at www.otteryscoutsuk.org.uk.