Ottery scouts and explorers have a riot in Holland
A GROUP of 48 scouts, explorers and leaders from Ottery enjoyed a nine-day adventure in Holland.
Young people aged from 10 to 17 took on a packed programme of activities including a visit to Amsterdam and the Anne Frank house, a bike ride from Rotterdam and a battlefield tour in Arnhem.
The trip, which saw the contingent travel by coach to the historic Kruithuis - formerly Holland’s gunpowder store, took a year to organise.
John Green, group scout Leader said: “It was a great shock when the group returned to the UK to hear of the devastation that befell many of our major cities, with young people running riot.
“Our trip emphasised to me the value and structure that organisations like scouting can provide.
“We had 40 young people - many had a great deal of freedom on the days and nights we were in Holland - and we had no trouble whatsoever.
“The whole group was a credit to scouting.”
- 1 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 2 Cost of living crisis how Sidmouth businesses are coping
- 3 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 4 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 5 Business breakfast aims to link up local professionals
- 6 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
- 7 Actor James Pellow plants tree for Sidmouth Arboretum
- 8 Festival organisers join forces to boost the town's 'brilliant cultural offer'
- 9 Bugler needed for Sidmouth beacon lighting event
- 10 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
Joint organiser Chris Evans added: “The whole trip was a massive success and the young people got so much out of the experience.”
Parents will next month get a chance to see a presentation of what the party got up to during the trip.
Group members also enjoyed a visit to a ‘movie park’ in Germany and indoor and outdoor water park.
l Youngsters interested in joining Ottery’s scouts or explorers, or volunteers willing to help the organisation, can find details or complete an application form online at www.otteryscoutsuk.org.uk.