Ottery Scouts get ‘back to basics’ with boot camp
Ottery Scouts have had a fun-packed autumn term starting off with a ‘Back to Basics Boot Camp’ at the Sidmouth Scout site.
Activities included tent and camp craft, camp fire building and, for the first time for many of the Scouts, skinning and making their own rabbit stew.
Scout leader, Chris Evans said they all coped very well and ‘survived the experience’ at the camp in late September.
The group also took part in this year’s Ottery Carnival with its entrant ‘Joker in the Pack’ winning a creditable third place with their playing card theme costumes.
Catrina Johnson, Ottery Cub Scout leader, said the younger members of the group were at the forefront of the display of 21 Beaver, Cubs and Scouts.
And the older Ottery Scouts and Explorers have been busy training for the Ten Tors hiking and orienteering challenge, who have the opportunity to enter teams for the 35, 45 and 55 mile distances this year.
- 1 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 2 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 3 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 4 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 5 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 6 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 7 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 8 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 9 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 10 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town