Ottery Scouts get ‘back to basics’ with boot camp
Ottery Scouts have had a fun-packed autumn term starting off with a ‘Back to Basics Boot Camp’ at the Sidmouth Scout site.
Activities included tent and camp craft, camp fire building and, for the first time for many of the Scouts, skinning and making their own rabbit stew.
Scout leader, Chris Evans said they all coped very well and ‘survived the experience’ at the camp in late September.
The group also took part in this year’s Ottery Carnival with its entrant ‘Joker in the Pack’ winning a creditable third place with their playing card theme costumes.
Catrina Johnson, Ottery Cub Scout leader, said the younger members of the group were at the forefront of the display of 21 Beaver, Cubs and Scouts.
You may also want to watch:
And the older Ottery Scouts and Explorers have been busy training for the Ten Tors hiking and orienteering challenge, who have the opportunity to enter teams for the 35, 45 and 55 mile distances this year.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman