Ottery set for Convent open day
OTTERY residents will get a sneak peak of the town s new community facility tomorrow and play their part in choose its new name.
OTTERY residents will get a sneak peak of the town's new community facility tomorrow and play their part in choose its new name.
The Convent, in Broad Street, will be open to the public for the first time since it was bought by the town council last year. The building will act as a new home for the council and Ottery's police team when work is finished on it later this year.
Popular Spanish classes, which have attracted 45 budding Ottery linguists, have taken advantage of a newly refurbished meeting room in the venue already, and Mayor Glyn Dobson is hopeful the council will have moved from its Silver Street base by the end of March.
Ottery's police team are pencilled in to follow by mid-summer.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Dobson wants as many residents from the Ottery parish as possible to take a look at the developing premises and help name it tomorrow.
He said: "The Convent is owned by the town. We would like as many local people to come in, have a cup of coffee with the councillors and discuss how they would like to see it used.
- 1 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 2 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 3 Sidmouth charity shop needs your donations!
- 4 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 5 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 6 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 7 Important not to let celebrations get out of hand
- 8 Sidmouth poised for a title push
- 9 Batty fun activities for all at donkey sanctuary
- 10 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' in crash near Ottery St Mary
"About 16 names have been suggested already- I hope we will have a new one by the end of the day.
"A lot of work has been gone on here and it is by no means the finished article yet but we (the council) hope to be in for our April meeting."
The building will also feature a disabled entrance and several offices will be available for businesses to hire.
The open day will take place from 9.30am to 12noon and will coincide with the monthly councillor's surgery.