Ottery St Mary couple named as victims of fatal collision in Somerset
- Credit: Archant
A couple from Ottery have been formally identified as the victims of a fatal road traffic collision in Somerset.
Robert and Brenda Newton, both 72, died at the scene following a collision with a van near Buckland St Mary on Monday, October 31.
An Avon and Somerset Constabulary spokesman said: “The incident happened just after 1pm. A van which was travelling in a north-easterly direction had just negotiated at sweeping right hand bend when it appears to have crossed the centre of the road and was in collision with a car travelling in the opposite direction.
“The occupants of the car – Mr and Mrs Newton – were both seriously injured and sadly died at the scene shortly afterwards.”
He added that a van driver required treatment at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital before being released.
You may also want to watch:
Collision investigators are appealing for information about the incident.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the collision investigation unit on 101, quoting reference CI/222/16.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge