Ottery tar barrel explosion victim’s mum speaks out
AN angry mother has called for someone to shop the idiot responsible for causing an explosion which hurt up to 12 people at last night's Ottery St Mary Tar Barrels. What was a happy family outing to the famous event turned to horror when someone threw an aerosol at a flaming barrel
AN angry mother has called for someone "to shop" the "idiot" responsible for causing an explosion which hurt up to 12 people at last night's Ottery St Mary Tar Barrels.
What was a happy family outing to the famous event turned to horror when someone threw an aerosol at a flaming barrel.
Pauline Watling said: "My son and his three friends were really enjoying the event when some idiotic moron decided to throw an aerosol can into one of the barrels.
"The resulting explosion was very fierce and knocked about eight people off their feet.
"One girl was taken to hospital with extensive burns down one side and one lad had his face completely burnt.
"My son fortunately managed to protect his face with his hand, but now has his whole left hand burnt.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
- 3 Building more homes alone won't solve housing crisis
- 4 Our library really is the jewel in Ottery's crown
- 5 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 6 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 7 Levelling Up funding could make a real difference in Devon
- 8 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 9 Get ready to dive into Sidmouth's Sea Fest
- 10 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
"When he got home last night, it was blistered, swollen, stiff and painful from the fingers to the wrist. I am about to take him to hospital.
"His friend who was standing next to him had two very nasty burns on his face, very near to his eye. He was extremely lucky that it didn't catch the eye."
Her son and his mate suffered singed hair. Two friends, who were standing behind them, also suffered singed hair.
"What sort of person would do such a thing - don't they realise what can happen," she added.