Ottery tar barrel explosion victim’s mum speaks out
AN angry mother has called for someone to shop the idiot responsible for causing an explosion which hurt up to 12 people at last night's Ottery St Mary Tar Barrels. What was a happy family outing to the famous event turned to horror when someone threw an aerosol at a flaming barrel
AN angry mother has called for someone "to shop" the "idiot" responsible for causing an explosion which hurt up to 12 people at last night's Ottery St Mary Tar Barrels.
What was a happy family outing to the famous event turned to horror when someone threw an aerosol at a flaming barrel.
Pauline Watling said: "My son and his three friends were really enjoying the event when some idiotic moron decided to throw an aerosol can into one of the barrels.
"The resulting explosion was very fierce and knocked about eight people off their feet.
You may also want to watch:
"One girl was taken to hospital with extensive burns down one side and one lad had his face completely burnt.
"My son fortunately managed to protect his face with his hand, but now has his whole left hand burnt.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 3 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 4 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 5 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 6 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 7 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 8 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 9 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 10 Time to enjoy summer safely as restrictions lifts
"When he got home last night, it was blistered, swollen, stiff and painful from the fingers to the wrist. I am about to take him to hospital.
"His friend who was standing next to him had two very nasty burns on his face, very near to his eye. He was extremely lucky that it didn't catch the eye."
Her son and his mate suffered singed hair. Two friends, who were standing behind them, also suffered singed hair.
"What sort of person would do such a thing - don't they realise what can happen," she added.