Ottery tar barrels explosion victim: “Keep tradition alive
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the idiot who caused the blast. Born and bred Ottregian Ian Chown suffered first and second degree burns to his face and feared he may be scarred for life
THE Ottery man who took the brunt of a tar barrels explosion in his face has backed the tradition he loves- and slammed the "idiot" who caused the blast.
Born and bred Ottregian Ian Chown suffered first and second degree burns to his face and feared he may be scarred for life after a night of fun turned into terror when a "mindless moron" threw an aerosol can into a lit barrel near the town's factory site.
Ian, 23, was rushed 80 miles to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital burns unit. It was feared his burns were so bad he would need plastic surgery.
After a 20-hour hospital stay, doctors told Ian his burns are superficial and are hopeful he will make a full recovery.
You may also want to watch:
Ian today told the Herald while recovering at home today:
"I just want to get better-and let the barrels carry on.
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 3 Repaint of fish mural brightens up The Ham
- 4 New minibus takes voluntary service's fleet to three
- 5 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 6 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 7 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 8 Donkey sanctuary's new trail and batty activities this summer
- 9 Town's garden competition effort judged
- 10 Ottery win the Monty Perry Invitation Cup
"One of my biggest regrets has been not taking part in the barrels - I've never missed it. It's an awesome tradition and I don't want it ruined by some thoughtless idiot."
Read Ian's story in this Friday's Ottery Herald. .