Ottery Town Council to welcome guest speakers and other news
Ottery Town Council has announced a series of guest speakers at meetings in the coming months. Read this and more.
CAR FIRE: An appliance from Ottery St Mary was sent after reports of a car fire on the old A30 at Fairmile on Monday, June 11, around 1.40pm. A statement from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Upon arrival, crews confirmed one vehicle was well alight. Crews set to work to extinguish the fire, using two breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets. The vehicle was 100 per cent damaged by fire. The cause was accidental.”
SPEAKERS: Ottery Town Council has announced a series of guest speakers at meetings in the coming months. At its July meeting, which has been moved to West Hill, there will be an update from Devon and Cornwall police on the proposed changes to officer numbers. In August, the Ottery St Mary Hospital League of Friends will speak to the council about the work it does.
You may also want to watch:
ART SOCIETY show: The Otter Vale Art Society’s 2012 summer exhibition takes place between Friday, August 10, and Saturday, August 18, in The Institute, Yonder Street.
It will showcase how members have sourced material and triggered the ideas that have filled their sketch books. It will also include work-in-progress, as well as part-finished works that have brought many of the show’s exhibits into being. Many of the paintings and three-dimensional works of art by members on display will be offered for sale. Open from 10am to 5pm daily, admission is �1, with proceeds going to support the activities of the society.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 8 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
CONCERT: There is to be a concert of church music by the choristers and musicians of Ottery St Mary Parish Church on Saturday, July 14, at 7pm. The choir will be presenting music from throughout the church year, including pieces by Stanford, Wesley and Rutter, interspersed with readings by choristers and organ solos by Michael Farley. The evening is being staged to raise funds for the parish church. It is the brainchild of father and daughter choir members David and Jules Corkhill as a response to the request to the congregation to help church finances in these difficult economic times. Tickets cost �5, �2 for those in full time education, and are available from the Tourist Information Centre or from any choir member.