Ottery Twinning Assocaition crowned best in Devon
OTTERY S Twinning Association has been crowned the best in Devon.
OTTERY'S Twinning Association has been crowned the best in Devon.
The group, which maintains the town's links with continental counterparts Ilsfeld in southern Germany and Pont l'Eveque in Normandy, beat nearly 80 other associations to the title.
The Devon Twinning Circle marked the occasion by handing over its prestigious Monica Saunders trophy to Ottery Twinner Keith Spittlehouse last week.
Mr Spittlehouse said the honour was a "delight" and Ottery's association has a bright future as it takes "great strides" in encouraging youngsters from the town to get involved.
You may also want to watch:
A number of exchange visitsa have been set up after a delegation from Ilsfeld, featuring civic dignitaries, twinning committee members, school teachers and scout leaders visited Ottery on an exploratory visit earlier this year.
Last month a group from The King's School visited the German town with the prospect of school visits from each town in future years.
- 1 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 2 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 3 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 4 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 5 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 6 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 7 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 8 Artists given a masterclass in watercolour painting
- 9 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 10 Town's garden competition effort judged
A joint scout camp is planned with the Ottery and Ilsfeld Scout troops in August.
Long standing reciprocal visits with Pont l'Eveque in Normandy and the annual exchange with Ilsfeld will both take place next month.
More than 50 German visitors are expected for the bank-holiday weekend.
Last week the Herald reported how a revised version of Ottery's Heritage Trail leaflet has been translated into German and French to boost the town's tourism.