You have a friend in me - Ottery WI members become Dementia Friends
- Credit: Archant
Members of Ottery St Mary WI are joining a growing number of dementia friends.
Heather Penwarden, dementia ambassador for Devon Women Institutes (DFWI), attended a recent meeting to help the 50 strong membership become more aware.
Dementia Friends is an Alzheimer’s Society initiative, helping people to learn what it is like to live with dementia.
Members said it was good to learn about the illness so they could help anyone they know affected by dementia.
One WI member said: “An interesting, informative and enlightening talk which certainly made us much more aware of all that dementia entails for those with the disease, their carers and families.
You may also want to watch:
“This message needs to get out to the wider public.”
It is part of Devon WI’s plans to become a dementia friendly organisation in time for its centenary anniversary next year.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Mrs Penwarden added the WI members embraced the session.