You have a friend in me - Ottery WI members become Dementia Friends
- Credit: Archant
Members of Ottery St Mary WI are joining a growing number of dementia friends.
Heather Penwarden, dementia ambassador for Devon Women Institutes (DFWI), attended a recent meeting to help the 50 strong membership become more aware.
Dementia Friends is an Alzheimer’s Society initiative, helping people to learn what it is like to live with dementia.
Members said it was good to learn about the illness so they could help anyone they know affected by dementia.
One WI member said: “An interesting, informative and enlightening talk which certainly made us much more aware of all that dementia entails for those with the disease, their carers and families.
You may also want to watch:
“This message needs to get out to the wider public.”
It is part of Devon WI’s plans to become a dementia friendly organisation in time for its centenary anniversary next year.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 10 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
Mrs Penwarden added the WI members embraced the session.