Otterycard booms business
BUSINESS is booming in Ottery thanks to the success of the town s new loyalty card. And other towns may soon follow suit after the card s exposure on the airwaves. The pioneering free Otterycard, which allows customers in the town a discount on selected
BUSINESS is booming in Ottery thanks to the success of the town's new loyalty card.
And other towns may soon follow suit after the card's exposure on the airwaves.
The pioneering free Otterycard, which allows customers in the town a discount on selected goods, has been flying out of the shops since it was launched on February 14.
Nearly 2000 of the green cards have been dispensed and soon another batch will need to be ordered to keep up with demand.
You may also want to watch:
The card is not only helping shoppers who are feeling the pinch during these tough economic times but businesses have also seen an increase in sales since its launch.
Viv Abbott, chairman of Ottery Chamber of Commerce, said: "It is keeping our town busy. A lot of smaller towns are struggling at the minute because of the credit crunch.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
"It has been brilliant for us and chamber member numbers have even strengthened. There is a feel good factor in the town now."
The card's fame has spread through the airwaves as Viv has appeared on both BBC Devon and Essex talking about the innovative card.
She added: "We are really pleased and are hoping to produce more cards very shortly.
"There are still some cards left in the 28 shops participating in the scheme so we would urge people to apply for them as soon as possible.