Over 55s enjoy freedom of swimming in open water with confidence thanks to new scheme
- Credit: Archant
Keen swimmers who want the confidence to enjoy the freedom of open water have been making the most of a new scheme.
Wild East Devon and LED Community Leisure have joined forces to run swimming sessions with qualified swim teachers and beach lifeguards for people, aged 55 and over.
The 10 weekly sessions are already over subscribed and started at Sidmouth swimming pool before progressing to the sea.
There help and support from other sea swimmers and lifeguard owner of Jurassic Paddle Sports Guy Russell, including how to get into and out of the wetsuits provided. Every session ends with a warming cuppa and slice of cake.
Councillor Geoff Jung, environment portfolio holder at East Devon District Council, said: "The Swim to the Sea project is proving hugely popular. The course is already full because people see it as a brilliant opportunity to get more active and embrace the natural environment."
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is funded by Sport England and is being delivered by Wild East Devon, LED Community Leisure, Jurassic Paddle Sports and Active Devon.
It is hoped that more sessions will take place next Spring. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight