Paddle boarding concession launches in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
A PAIR of lifeguards want people to get closer to the sea by hosting sports on Sidmouth’s surf this summer.
Seasoned surfers Guy Russell and Toby Foster have been given the go-ahead to put a concession on the seafront, and will be offering paddle boarding and kayaking.
They are launching with a free taster day at 10am next Saturday, May 4, when they will also be looking to recruit local people with an interest in the sea. Guy said: “It will be a simple and humble affair – and all totally safe.”
Guy and Toby both grew up in Sidmouth and ‘lived on the sea’, surfing on different beaches around the world.
They are both confident lifeguards, with links to Sidmouth Lifeboat. The pair are keen to promote the health benefits of such activities.
You may also want to watch:
Toby said he had only started paddle boarding last year, but has already done it between Hawaiian islands and down the River Thames. Guy said: “I’m passionate about all aspects of the sea – in terms of the environment, health and wellbeing, and safety.”
They were set to start the concession over the Easter weekend, but said the administrative delay has been a ‘blessing in disguise’ given the recent weather.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight