Painted stones bringing smiles to faces in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
Painted pebbles are bringing smiles to faces around Sidmouth after a mum brought a colourful initiative to the town.
Clare Luke started Facebook group Sidmouth Smilestones and now more than 100 people are decorating pebbles and sharing their creations online.
Designs including Father Christmas, remembrance poppies and characters from children’s books can now be found around the town.
“I set up Sidmouth Smilestones after been on a family holiday visiting Land’s End, when my eldest found a painted stone from a group up north,” said Clare, who is mum to sons Brody, Leeland and Tyler. “We have more than 100 members now who enjoy painting, hiding and finding stones. It’s a great family activity and my four-year-old loves it!
“I must say though that although it was my idea to bring it to Sidmouth, the lovely ladies at a local craft group at the youth centre that me and Brody go to on a Thursday afternoon really helped - they listened to my idea and we all got painting and drawing.”
You may also want to watch:
Projects start by finding and cleaning stones, before they are sealed and painted. The name of the Facebook group can be written on the back of the stones, and examples are shared online.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend