Paris beckons for Lynda and Kaylee
- Credit: Archant
A mother and daughter duo are saying au revoir to Sidmouth to take on the Paris marathon to raise money for two cancer charities.
Lynda and Kaylee Hawkins will be running the 26-mile course through the French city on Sunday.
Lynda’s brother, Adrian, died after being diagnosed with leukaemia at the age of 21. Her mother, Jean, has also battled eye, kidney and breast cancer.
The pair are raising money for Sidmouth Living With Cancer and Cancer Research UK.
Jean lives in Surrey and does not have access to the services that Sidmouth Living With Cancer offers.
You may also want to watch:
Lynda said: “It is such a shame. If she was here [in Sidmouth], she would have the support. I work in the doctors’ surgery and there are so many people you see with different types of cancer. It is frightening.”
Together, the duo have raised more than £200 for their respective causes.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
More than 50,000 runners will take on the gruelling route in Paris, which will pass famous landmarks, including the Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Notre Dame.
Kaylee, 19, studies at the University of Bournemouth, but has been preparing for the long-distance race by taking part in the Grizzly Run at the start of March.
Lynda, who works at Sidford doctors’ surgery, ran the London marathon in 2012 and has been preparing for her latest challenge with a series of long-distance runs.
To sponsor Kaylee and Cancer Research UK, visit https://www.justgiving.com/Kaylee-Hawkins/
To donate to Sidmouth Living With Cancer, visit Lynda’s page at https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/lyndahawkins1