Paris beckons for Lynda and Kaylee
- Credit: Archant
A mother and daughter duo are saying au revoir to Sidmouth to take on the Paris marathon to raise money for two cancer charities.
Lynda and Kaylee Hawkins will be running the 26-mile course through the French city on Sunday.
Lynda’s brother, Adrian, died after being diagnosed with leukaemia at the age of 21. Her mother, Jean, has also battled eye, kidney and breast cancer.
The pair are raising money for Sidmouth Living With Cancer and Cancer Research UK.
Jean lives in Surrey and does not have access to the services that Sidmouth Living With Cancer offers.
You may also want to watch:
Lynda said: “It is such a shame. If she was here [in Sidmouth], she would have the support. I work in the doctors’ surgery and there are so many people you see with different types of cancer. It is frightening.”
Together, the duo have raised more than £200 for their respective causes.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 5 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 6 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 7 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 8 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 9 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 10 Woman flown to hospital after fall
More than 50,000 runners will take on the gruelling route in Paris, which will pass famous landmarks, including the Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Notre Dame.
Kaylee, 19, studies at the University of Bournemouth, but has been preparing for the long-distance race by taking part in the Grizzly Run at the start of March.
Lynda, who works at Sidford doctors’ surgery, ran the London marathon in 2012 and has been preparing for her latest challenge with a series of long-distance runs.
To sponsor Kaylee and Cancer Research UK, visit https://www.justgiving.com/Kaylee-Hawkins/
To donate to Sidmouth Living With Cancer, visit Lynda’s page at https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/lyndahawkins1