Parking ban to aid Sidmouth coach users
DAYTIME parking restrictions all year round in Manor Road, Sidmouth, have been agreed to allow coaches unrestricted access to its car park. Currently, restrictions of 10am to 6pm only operate from May to October.
DAYTIME parking restrictions all year round in Manor Road, Sidmouth, have been agreed to allow coaches unrestricted access to its car park.
Currently, restrictions of 10am to 6pm only operate from May to October.
Two objectors, Sidmouth Town Council and Richard Eley, chairman of Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce, think it will adversely affect businesses in the town to have all-year-round parking restrictions.
The road is used by employees because of lack of free all day parking in Sidmouth.
You may also want to watch:
However, 21 supporting letters had been sent, Devon County Council's East Devon Highways and Traffic Orders committee heard on Tuesday.
Chairman, Councillor Stuart Hughes, said the whole point of bringing the orders to HATOC was "to get the restrictions in place by October."
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
Extensive consultations took place with residents, town council and Sidmouth Traffic Group.
In his report, Tony Matthews, DCC area engineer (east), said extending restrictions all year round would prevent obstructive parking during the day and allow coaches easier access to Manor Road car park.
He stated: "Those commuters that do park in this road in the winter clearly find alternative parking in the months the restrictions apply."
HATOC also agreed traffic orders over parking restrictions at other trouble spots in Sidmouth.