Sidmouth vodka captures town’s seaside essence in a bottle
- Credit: Archant
A flavour of Sidmouth’s seaside has been bottled up as part of a new locally produced vodka.
John Hammond, of The Dairy Shop, has branched out into his third alcoholic range, off the back of his successful Sidmouth gin and rum.
The business owner has won awards for his gin by using a range of unusual and locally produced flavours, including sea truffle and fruit from allotments in The Byes.
In his newest venture, he has set out to capture Sidmouth's seaside flavour by using sea lettuce to create his Sea Breeze vodka.
Mr Hammond said: "It has this seaside smell to it. It's really crisp and a little bit salty. It just smells of the sea."
You may also want to watch:
To date he has create five different flavoured gins and a rum.
He said: "I remember making the first batch and not knowing how it would sell or not. People would say 'this is really nice'.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 9 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 10 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
"With the appreciation of gin you have to show where it has been made. We have lots of local stuff that we are trying to use and as much as possible."
Sidmouth Vodka will have a launch party at the Church Street shop on Saturday (July 27), from 6.30pm to 8pm.