Peep into the past - press pictures from February 1979
- Credit: Archant
Taking a look back in the archives to the late 1970s
Taking a look back at pictures from days gone by can often spark memories, so this month we have found a selection of pictures which were published in February 1979.
Originally published in the Sidmouth Herald, they show so much that has changed in the intervening 40 years.
At the time, it was noteworthy that Ottery St Mary hospital was being supplied with a colour television and Sidmouth School had a new computer installed – so noteworthy, in fact, that a photographer was sent to record the occasion.
This was at a time when not so many pictures would have been published in the paper, so they had to earn their place.
You may also want to watch:
Clothes and hobbies of the time are also clear to see, and some of the fashions have been in and out several times since those days.
Looking back on that time, from a modern perspective, with mobile phones offering not only computing capacity but also the chance to watch television, it is amazing what technical developments we have seen over the last four decades.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 9 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
If any of the pictures spark any memories that you would like to share, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
To read more features from East Devon Resident, click on here.