Peter is new Sidmouth Museum collections manager
Being Sidmouth Museum’s collections manager is “a lifetime’s work” says new man in post
NEW collections manager at Sidmouth Museum is Peter Soper.
Peter, 69, who lives in Higher Woolbrook, has quite a task before him and says: “Maureen Church, who I took over from, has done a lifetime’s work. The stuff we have got is unbelievable.”
Peter is no newcomer to the museum, having helped with maintenance and logistics for the past two years.
Now he will be sorting and cataloguing items held by the museum, much of which he is uncovering in the many upstairs rooms at Hope Cottage.
One of the items he is researching is a pewter tankard which was presented in 1961 at the Royal London Hotel for donkey racing at Sidmouth rugby field.
He would be interested to know where it came from and more about the event it was presented at and can be reached at the museum on Fridays (01395) 516139.
- 1 Business breakfast aims to link up local professionals
- 2 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 3 New town council chair sets out his aims
- 4 Bugler needed for Sidmouth beacon lighting event
- 5 Cost of living crisis how Sidmouth businesses are coping
- 6 'Thank you' - Ukraine medic moved to tears by donations from Ottery
- 7 Ottery residents struggling with Medical Centre absence
- 8 Recycled toy shop's kind gesture to Ukrainian families
- 9 Mica Paris apologises to Sidmouth as festival concert is moved to following day
- 10 Local slimmer wins prize for low-calorie stew recipe
The museum will be closed on Wednesday, May 25 while two new cabinets are installed.
Open until October 29, museum staff offer free guided strolls around Sidmouth each week.
They cover Western town on Tuesdays from 11am, the Esplanade on Wednesdays at 2pm and Eastern town on Thursdays, starting at 11am.