Peter is new Sidmouth Museum collections manager
Being Sidmouth Museum’s collections manager is “a lifetime’s work” says new man in post
NEW collections manager at Sidmouth Museum is Peter Soper.
Peter, 69, who lives in Higher Woolbrook, has quite a task before him and says: “Maureen Church, who I took over from, has done a lifetime’s work. The stuff we have got is unbelievable.”
Peter is no newcomer to the museum, having helped with maintenance and logistics for the past two years.
Now he will be sorting and cataloguing items held by the museum, much of which he is uncovering in the many upstairs rooms at Hope Cottage.
You may also want to watch:
One of the items he is researching is a pewter tankard which was presented in 1961 at the Royal London Hotel for donkey racing at Sidmouth rugby field.
He would be interested to know where it came from and more about the event it was presented at and can be reached at the museum on Fridays (01395) 516139.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 9 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
The museum will be closed on Wednesday, May 25 while two new cabinets are installed.
Open until October 29, museum staff offer free guided strolls around Sidmouth each week.
They cover Western town on Tuesdays from 11am, the Esplanade on Wednesdays at 2pm and Eastern town on Thursdays, starting at 11am.