Peter is new Sidmouth Museum collections manager
Being Sidmouth Museum’s collections manager is “a lifetime’s work” says new man in post
NEW collections manager at Sidmouth Museum is Peter Soper.
Peter, 69, who lives in Higher Woolbrook, has quite a task before him and says: “Maureen Church, who I took over from, has done a lifetime’s work. The stuff we have got is unbelievable.”
Peter is no newcomer to the museum, having helped with maintenance and logistics for the past two years.
Now he will be sorting and cataloguing items held by the museum, much of which he is uncovering in the many upstairs rooms at Hope Cottage.
One of the items he is researching is a pewter tankard which was presented in 1961 at the Royal London Hotel for donkey racing at Sidmouth rugby field.
He would be interested to know where it came from and more about the event it was presented at and can be reached at the museum on Fridays (01395) 516139.
- 1 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 2 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 3 Yellow weather warning for ice and snow in Devon tonight
- 4 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 5 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 6 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 7 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 8 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 9 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 10 Ottery's big switch on lights up the town
The museum will be closed on Wednesday, May 25 while two new cabinets are installed.
Open until October 29, museum staff offer free guided strolls around Sidmouth each week.
They cover Western town on Tuesdays from 11am, the Esplanade on Wednesdays at 2pm and Eastern town on Thursdays, starting at 11am.