Pets rescued by fire fighters following Ottery kitchen fire

PUBLISHED: 13:58 09 July 2018 | UPDATED: 13:58 09 July 2018

Archant

A dog and two rabbits have been rescued by firefighters after a fire started in a kitchen in Ottery.

Crews from Ottery, Honiton and Middlemoor were sent to Butts Road shortly before midday after smoke and flames was seen coming from the property and a smoke detector had been activated.

The occupants was out of the property at the time when crews arrived and rescued the animals from the premise.

A Devon and Somerset Fire Service spokesman said the fire was started accidentally and involved a gas hob and cooking oils.

The fire was put out by 12.33pm using breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and safety jet. Crews then used a fan to ventilate the property.

The spokesman said: “For a second time today, a fully working smoke detector raised the alarm to neighbours to a fire in a property where the occupants were out.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald