Phil’s Milky Way picture is out of this world
- Credit: Archant
The universe delivered for a photographer who needed a birthday present for his dad - presenting this stunningly clear shot of the Milky Way over Sidmouth.
With a moonless sky and not a cloud in sight, Phil Watson caught the glimpse of the cosmos from his dad Richard’s new home in Cliff Road.
Coming to Sidmouth was an opportunity to escape the light pollution of his Bristol base.
And when everyone else went to bed, Phil headed to the end of his father’s garden.
“After a short while, my eyes adjusted and I could make out the Milky Way,” said the photographer, who set his camera to capture as much light as possible without creating trails.
“I was instantly pleased with the results – they were the best Milky Way photos I have taken.
“I took my favourite two images and tweaked them.
- 1 'It's a nightmare': Sidmouth business react as roadworks get underway
- 2 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 3 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 4 Mental health awareness and fundraising at Sidmouth
- 5 'Small farmers' livelihoods face collapse, post-Brexit'
- 6 Litter pickers shocked by amount of waste in river Otter
- 7 'Stunning' donation made to Dream-A-Way by HMS Defender
- 8 'I am pro-vaccine, but I am also pro-choice'
- 9 Sidmouth on the climb while Otters rebuild
- 10 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
“The stars looked amazing, the sky was perfect.
“I was very pleased indeed, as I hope my father will be when he finally gets his birthday gift.”
Richard moved in two months ago and his birthday was the same week. Phil is printing an A2 copy of the photo and framing it for him as a belated gift.
Visit www.philwatsonphotography.uk for more of Phil’s images.