Phil’s Milky Way picture is out of this world
- Credit: Archant
The universe delivered for a photographer who needed a birthday present for his dad - presenting this stunningly clear shot of the Milky Way over Sidmouth.
With a moonless sky and not a cloud in sight, Phil Watson caught the glimpse of the cosmos from his dad Richard’s new home in Cliff Road.
Coming to Sidmouth was an opportunity to escape the light pollution of his Bristol base.
And when everyone else went to bed, Phil headed to the end of his father’s garden.
“After a short while, my eyes adjusted and I could make out the Milky Way,” said the photographer, who set his camera to capture as much light as possible without creating trails.
You may also want to watch:
“I was instantly pleased with the results – they were the best Milky Way photos I have taken.
“I took my favourite two images and tweaked them.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
“The stars looked amazing, the sky was perfect.
“I was very pleased indeed, as I hope my father will be when he finally gets his birthday gift.”
Richard moved in two months ago and his birthday was the same week. Phil is printing an A2 copy of the photo and framing it for him as a belated gift.
Visit www.philwatsonphotography.uk for more of Phil’s images.