Phil’s Milky Way picture is out of this world
- Credit: Archant
The universe delivered for a photographer who needed a birthday present for his dad - presenting this stunningly clear shot of the Milky Way over Sidmouth.
With a moonless sky and not a cloud in sight, Phil Watson caught the glimpse of the cosmos from his dad Richard’s new home in Cliff Road.
Coming to Sidmouth was an opportunity to escape the light pollution of his Bristol base.
And when everyone else went to bed, Phil headed to the end of his father’s garden.
“After a short while, my eyes adjusted and I could make out the Milky Way,” said the photographer, who set his camera to capture as much light as possible without creating trails.
“I was instantly pleased with the results – they were the best Milky Way photos I have taken.
“I took my favourite two images and tweaked them.
- 1 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 2 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
- 3 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 4 Residents plagued by aggressive rogue traders
- 5 The last day of Sidmouth Folk Festival 2022
- 6 Post-lockdown images become public art on Sidmouth billboard
- 7 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 8 Decision on Straitgate's appeal funding deferred
- 9 Could Devon councils be set for unitary shake up?
- 10 Donkey Sanctuary to host event during local food festival
“The stars looked amazing, the sky was perfect.
“I was very pleased indeed, as I hope my father will be when he finally gets his birthday gift.”
Richard moved in two months ago and his birthday was the same week. Phil is printing an A2 copy of the photo and framing it for him as a belated gift.
Visit www.philwatsonphotography.uk for more of Phil’s images.