Phil’s Milky Way picture is out of this world
- Credit: Archant
The universe delivered for a photographer who needed a birthday present for his dad - presenting this stunningly clear shot of the Milky Way over Sidmouth.
With a moonless sky and not a cloud in sight, Phil Watson caught the glimpse of the cosmos from his dad Richard’s new home in Cliff Road.
Coming to Sidmouth was an opportunity to escape the light pollution of his Bristol base.
And when everyone else went to bed, Phil headed to the end of his father’s garden.
“After a short while, my eyes adjusted and I could make out the Milky Way,” said the photographer, who set his camera to capture as much light as possible without creating trails.
You may also want to watch:
“I was instantly pleased with the results – they were the best Milky Way photos I have taken.
“I took my favourite two images and tweaked them.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 8 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 9 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
“The stars looked amazing, the sky was perfect.
“I was very pleased indeed, as I hope my father will be when he finally gets his birthday gift.”
Richard moved in two months ago and his birthday was the same week. Phil is printing an A2 copy of the photo and framing it for him as a belated gift.
Visit www.philwatsonphotography.uk for more of Phil’s images.