Pictures: diners hear from Sidmouth’s RAF Typhoon pilot
- Credit: Archant
Charity event organised by Sid Valley Rotary Club raises £8,000
Sid Valley Rotary Club toasted a successful evening of fundraising after its charity dinner raised more than £8,000.
Flight Lieutenant Jonathan ‘Jonny’ Dowen, who grew up in the valley, enthralled diners with a presentation about his time as the 2015 RAF Typhoon display pilot.
Jonny also assisted in a special auction of a series of ‘money can’t buy’ prizes, including one of his specially-made black flying suits and a tour for four people to visit his RAF base in Coningsby, Lincolnshire. After a bidding frenzy, the prizes were sold for a combined total of £2,100. In a separate grand raffle, prizes raised £1,900. Some 170 people attended the black tie event at Woodbury Park Hotel and Golf Club on Saturday evening.
Jonny’s dad, Paul Dowen, who helped organise the event, said: “It was a successful event. Everyone really enjoyed the evening.”
You may also want to watch:
The club will be donating the money to two RAF charities and four local youth causes.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman