PICTURES: Sidmouth Regatta 2015
- Credit: Archant
The British weather could not dampen a dazzling display of sailing, music and fireworks at Sidmouth Regatta.
On Saturday, August 29, crowds gathered to watch the races at sea with a number of sailing and swimming races.
The three-legged race had its lowest ever attendance with ten entries. The raft race also had a low number of competitors with three.
Newly-weds Nick and Vicky Foster were part of the winning raft entitled Don’t Tell The Bride.
In the evening, visitors watched a display by Exmouth RNLI’s new lifeboat and live music from The Culprits.
You may also want to watch:
The regatta committee praised the grand firework display as one of the event’s highlights.
Oliver Salter said: “The fireworks were undoubtedly the best ever in Sidmouth, again with new varieties including pastel shades, floating and underwater type and impressive aerial explosions.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Quick thinking by the organisers meant that the children’s drawing and fancy dress competitions took place in the warmth of the sailing club after rain began to fall on Sunday.
Brave participants attempted to complete the treasure hunt despite a torrential downpour.
Regatta committee members Oliver and Adele Salter were honoured by the RNLI for their fundraising efforts over the past 25 years.
The regatta has supported the charity over the past two decades raising more than £50,000.
Oliver said: “It is nice to be recognised.
“The regatta gives the RNLI the opportunity to collect at the firework display and the Boxing Day Swim. In past years we have propped it up.”
The committee thanked all the local hotels and businesses that sponsor the event.