PICTURES: Sidmouth Regatta 2015
- Credit: Archant
The British weather could not dampen a dazzling display of sailing, music and fireworks at Sidmouth Regatta.
On Saturday, August 29, crowds gathered to watch the races at sea with a number of sailing and swimming races.
The three-legged race had its lowest ever attendance with ten entries. The raft race also had a low number of competitors with three.
Newly-weds Nick and Vicky Foster were part of the winning raft entitled Don’t Tell The Bride.
In the evening, visitors watched a display by Exmouth RNLI’s new lifeboat and live music from The Culprits.
You may also want to watch:
The regatta committee praised the grand firework display as one of the event’s highlights.
Oliver Salter said: “The fireworks were undoubtedly the best ever in Sidmouth, again with new varieties including pastel shades, floating and underwater type and impressive aerial explosions.”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 6 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
Quick thinking by the organisers meant that the children’s drawing and fancy dress competitions took place in the warmth of the sailing club after rain began to fall on Sunday.
Brave participants attempted to complete the treasure hunt despite a torrential downpour.
Regatta committee members Oliver and Adele Salter were honoured by the RNLI for their fundraising efforts over the past 25 years.
The regatta has supported the charity over the past two decades raising more than £50,000.
Oliver said: “It is nice to be recognised.
“The regatta gives the RNLI the opportunity to collect at the firework display and the Boxing Day Swim. In past years we have propped it up.”
The committee thanked all the local hotels and businesses that sponsor the event.