Pies bring in the pounds
PIES brought in the pounds in Branscombe on Sunday.
The WI’s all-day pie feast went down a treat at the village hall, raising in the region of �700 subject to costs. This is up on the �550 raised last year. The money will go to village causes, including the St Winifred’s Church toilet fund.
There were 45 sweet and savoury pies and quiches- including a brunch special containing egg, bacon and sausage; rhubarb; summer fruits and a mixed fruit flan.
The event, which is the Branscombe branch’s major fundraiser of the year, has been going for five years.
This is the second year it has been run as an all-day event, it used to be held in either the morning or afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Ten WI members dished out the tasty treats to hungry visitors and there was a lunchtime bar.
Branch president Sandi Clark said: “There was a good spread of people, from babies to older people, some local, some visiting from quite far away. We achieved what we wanted to achieve and built on the success of last year.”
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 3 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 4 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 5 Euro 2020 sweepstake winnings donated to support cancer charity
- 6 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 7 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 8 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 9 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 10 Devon played a major role in the English Civil War