Plans for 40 homes in Newton Poppleford rejected
- Credit: Archant
The developer behind controversial plans to build 40 homes in Newton Poppleford has been told to go back to the drawing board.
Proposals for land south of King Alfred Way, which include a doctors’ surgery, were put forward by Cavanna Homes Ltd and Pencleave 2.
The ‘reserved matters’ application was refused for a second time by East Devon District Council’s development management committee on Tuesday, due to concerns over the lack of ‘pepper-potting’ of ‘affordable’ homes. Council officers had recommended the application be approved.
The principal of the development was accepted in May 2014, with outline permission granted, but in January the committee ordered the developers to take another look at the placement of 16 affordable houses.
Cavanna Homes updated the plans and moved four properties to the north side of the site and two to the west, leaving the remaining homes at the end of a cul-de-sac.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Val Ranger told the Herald after Tuesday’s meeting: “It is absolutely the right decision.
“They had the opportunity to go away and pepper-pot the properties and what they came back with was a line of housing.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
“Out of the 16 houses, four had been moved slightly away from the other 12 and the committee felt this did not address the planning inspector’s concerns.
“It is so important we get this right - this is a major development.”
Cllr Ranger said the council wanted to promote a socially inclusive development, so when people walked through the estate they could not tell which were affordable homes and which were not.
She added that, under the Local Plan, only 15 homes, 66 per cent of which would have to be affordable, would be allowed, as the site was outside of the village’s built-up area boundary.
“This is a major development in a small village. It is supposed to address the affordable housing requirements of the village, which needs one-bedroom homes, including those adapted for disabled living, and so it is really important that this development is right,” said Cllr Ranger.