Plans for Newton Poppleford homes to be reconsidered
PUBLISHED: 06:30 10 May 2016 | UPDATED: 09:35 10 May 2016
Proposals for 40 homes in Newton Poppleford, which have previously been deferred over concerns of ‘pepper-potting affordable properties’, will be reconsidered next week.
Controversial plans for the site south of King Alfred Way, which include a doctors’ surgery, have been put forward by Cavanna Homes Ltd and Pencleave 2.
The updated application has now been recommended for approval by planning officers and will be looked at by East Devon District Council’s (EDDC) development management committee (DMC) on Tuesday (May 10).
The principal of the development was accepted in May 2014.
Once agreed, the DMC said it could approve the reserved matters application – but concerns still remain over the impact on the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
If approved, it will bring a three-year battle by some residents - to prevent the development on the AONB land - to a close.
The developers were told to go back to the drawing board in January after concerns were raised over the placement of 16 ‘affordable’ houses in its initial application.
‘Pepper-potting’ helps to avoid concentrations of affordable homes, promoting interaction between occupants of affordable homes and open market properties. It is a policy in EDDC’s soon-to-be-adopted Local Plan.
As requested, Cavanna Homes changed the plans to include one-bedroom affordable homes, but was told it had failed to distribute the affordable properties throughout the development.
This included two one-bedroom apartments, 10 houses with two-bedrooms and four three-bedroom properties.
The updated plans have moved four of the homes to the north side of the site and two to the west, leaving a remaining nine properties at the end of a cul-de-sac facing north towards the end of the estate road.