Plans in to develop Ottery’s allotments
- Credit: Archant
Plans to transform Ottery’s allotment site into 31 new homes have been submitted to the district council.
The application from Redrow Homes would form an extension to its existing development of 130 dwellings on land east of Butts Road.
The scheme includes 35 per cent ‘affordable’ housing and also includes provision for replacement allotment plots in an adjacent field.
The developer revealed that it was interested in building new homes on the allotment site, which it owns, in January.
It says the scheme aims to ‘bring forward a variety of new homes which will deliver much needed open market and affordable housing for Ottery’.
The application submitted to East Devon District Council (EDDC) this week stipulates that if the scheme is given the go-ahead, 97 new allotment plots will be provided on land to the east of the existing field.
Redrow has previously said that, if it wins planning permission for the existing allotment site, it would be prepared to legally transfer ownership of the new plots to the town.
- 1 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
- 2 Broadband firm apologises for late-night roadworks noise
- 3 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
- 4 Sidmouth greenkeepers fighting for the perfect bowling surface
- 5 'A rise in parking charges will hit locals hardest'
- 6 What makes Sidmouth the perfect place to live?
- 7 Major road in Sidmouth to close for THREE months
- 8 Mayor's New Year message and ideas sought for Jubilee celebrations
- 9 New pizza restaurant opens on Sidmouth seafront
- 10 'People are now too smart to fall for Tory culture wars...'
Carl Richmond, chairman of the allotment committee, said that the group had suggested changes to Redrow’s initial plans – like additional parking - which had been included in the final proposal.
“We have tried to ensure that we get a good deal out of it,” he added. “If it goes through, hopefully we will end up with new allotments that belong to the town.”
The proposed new allotment field includes 55 full plots and 42 half plots, parking for approximately 19 cars, crushed stone paths across the site and lockable boxes for tools at each plot.
The application will be considered by Ottery Town Council before a decision on the proposal is made by EDDC.