Plans in to develop Ottery’s allotments
- Credit: Archant
Plans to transform Ottery’s allotment site into 31 new homes have been submitted to the district council.
The application from Redrow Homes would form an extension to its existing development of 130 dwellings on land east of Butts Road.
The scheme includes 35 per cent ‘affordable’ housing and also includes provision for replacement allotment plots in an adjacent field.
The developer revealed that it was interested in building new homes on the allotment site, which it owns, in January.
It says the scheme aims to ‘bring forward a variety of new homes which will deliver much needed open market and affordable housing for Ottery’.
You may also want to watch:
The application submitted to East Devon District Council (EDDC) this week stipulates that if the scheme is given the go-ahead, 97 new allotment plots will be provided on land to the east of the existing field.
Redrow has previously said that, if it wins planning permission for the existing allotment site, it would be prepared to legally transfer ownership of the new plots to the town.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 10 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Carl Richmond, chairman of the allotment committee, said that the group had suggested changes to Redrow’s initial plans – like additional parking - which had been included in the final proposal.
“We have tried to ensure that we get a good deal out of it,” he added. “If it goes through, hopefully we will end up with new allotments that belong to the town.”
The proposed new allotment field includes 55 full plots and 42 half plots, parking for approximately 19 cars, crushed stone paths across the site and lockable boxes for tools at each plot.
The application will be considered by Ottery Town Council before a decision on the proposal is made by EDDC.