Plans to extend Sidmouth school for current and future generations given green light
- Credit: Archant
Big plans to extend a Sidmouth school, increasing the number of students it has, have been given the green light by planning chiefs.
An application submitted by St John’s School, in Broadway, was approved by East Devon District Council last week.
The new two-storey extension will replace the existing mobile-type nursery buildings, which are not connected to the main school.
The new building will be used by the nursery and junior school at the east of the site. It will also be linked to the existing junior school building, on both floors.
It will include a nursery room, classrooms, indoor and outdoor play areas, staff rooms and storage.
You may also want to watch:
The ground floor will include two nursery playrooms, two junior school classrooms, storage areas, toilets and a staff room and office.
There will also be a covered play area.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
The first floor will have four classrooms mainly for the junior school and a large open flow area which will be utilised for gatherings.
Some hard landscaping has been included but the long-term aim is to involve the children in helping with the landscaping design process.
St John’s has expanded in the recent past and is hoping both to further increase numbers and improve the facilities for the current and future students.
The majority of the junior school teaching is currently taking place in what is thought to be the old headmaster’s house.
Although the building has been modified, it has its limitations having never been designed as a teaching facility.
St John’s is an independent day and boarding school for boys and girls aged two to 18.
It boasts a beautiful historic building, extensive grounds,playing fields, as well as indoor sports halls, adventure playground and tennis courts. The school also incorporates a nursery and junior school, senior and sixth form.
For more information or to view the planning application, visit planning.eastdevon.gov.uk