Police hunt Sidmouth car vandal
POLICE are hunting prolific vandals who have damaged scores of cars in Stowford Rise, Sidmouth, over the course of a year.
Officers hope soon-to-be installed double yellow lines on the stretch of road near Waitrose will curb the problem after four vehicles were scratched in the last fortnight.
There have bee 13 separate incidents in the last year.
“It’s unusual to have that many in one area,” said Sergeant Andy Turner, “it is having an impact on our local community.
“We don’t know whether it’s a resident with a gripe about parking or if it’s someone unhappy about something else.
“It’s all exactly the same thing where there were scratches to the side panelling of cars.
“We believe one or two people are responsible for a significant amount of damage. “It’s being treated as quite a serious crime. There is no specific pattern in time of day it occurs.”
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 7 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 8 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
PS Turner revealed people have been identified but ruled out of officers’ enquiries. He asked resident to remain vigilant and to dial 999 if they see anything suspicious.
Anyone with information can contact PC Wallace or PCSO Powe at Sidmouth police station on 08452 777444, crime reference: KS/10/531, or ring Crimestoppers in confidence on 0800 55511.