Police warning over thefts from cars and more news
Police have launched a seasonal campaign urging shoppers in places like Sidmouth to be on their guard against opportunist thieves who prey on vehicles. Read this and more.
THIEVING PURGE: Police have launched a seasonal campaign urging Christmas shoppers in places like Sidmouth to be on their guard against opportunist thieves who prey on vehicles. ‘Empty your car before someone else does’ is the message of a campaign which reminds residents and visitors that any presents left on show in vehicles can be a target for criminals. Officers have urged people to take care by keeping car windows closed and doors locked, and by keeping presents and valuables away from outside view.
PANEL PLEA: Owners of Fords, on Sidmouth’s Alexandria Industrial Estate, want to install solar panels on the roof of the premises. Plans have been submitted to the district council.
CHRISTINGLE: A Community Christingle Service will take place at Sidmouth’s All Saints Church on Christmas Eve at 4pm. Children have been invited to come dressed in nativity costume and to join in the story.
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 3 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 4 Retailers need to be on high alert against new scam
- 5 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 6 'Like a moth to a flame...'
- 7 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 8 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 9 Great to see the sunshine as Folk Festival returned
- 10 Town council joins protest against Sidmouth bus cuts
GRIT: The coldest temperatures so far this winter saw Devon County Council (DCC) gritters out in force on Friday, December 9, for the first full treatment of the season. Road surface temperatures were forecast to plunge to as low as -3 C in East Devon overnight. Gritters treated around 1,700 miles of DCC’s main salting network.
DWELLINGS HOPE: Owners of Long Close Cottage in Fore Street, Sidbury, hope to build two detached dwellings at the site. A planning application has been submitted to the district council.
SMOKE ALARMS: Fire safety chiefs in Devon have taken to YouTube to promote the use of mains powered smoke alarms. A video shows the importance of landlords in the private and social rented sector installing mains-wired alarms in all the properties they are responsible for.
BARN: An agricultural barn will be erected at Arley Bank, in Sidbury, if a planning application is successful.