Poppy collector praises Sidmouth's generosity
PEOPLE are giving generously to those volunteering to do door-to-door collections for this year s Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal as one helper found out.
PEOPLE are giving generously to those volunteering to do door-to-door collections for this year's Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal as one helper found out.
Over two a Saturday and Sunday, 'Charlie' Reynolds from Roselands, collected a record �203.
She wants to thank people living in Roselands, Higher Woolbrook Park, Ridgeway Mead and Ice House Lane for their generous donations "especially Higher Woolbrook Park."
Charlie, as she is known, has been a Poppy collector since moving to Sidmouth with her late husband David, who was in the RAF, and between them they have received a 20-year badge for their collecting work.
"My husband always did Higher Woolbrook Park, Ice House Lane and Ridgeway. When he died six years ago I took over," said Charlie, who has since remarried.
This year she also collected at Roselands, taking over from Lois Pickering, whose husband John died recently.
- 1 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 2 Ceremony launches installation of defibrillator at Ottery Cricket Club
- 3 Property of the Week: Overthorpe, Cliff Road, Sidmouth
- 4 Service veterans 'crowdfund' to buy Queen's Colours flag for Sidmouth
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Harlan's a winner after completing reading challenge
- 7 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 8 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 9 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 10 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
"I usually collect around �100, but this year there were a lot of elderly people putting in �5 and �10 notes.
"I think it is because of the war in Afghanistan, which people wanted to talk about our soldiers coming back from there, and a lot of them remember the Second World War," she said.