Potbury’s of Sidmouth wins Poppy window shield
Fourteen Sidmouth shops in Poppy Appeal window contest
MORE Sidmouth shops took part in this year’s Poppy Window Display competition.
“I counted 14,” said Eileen Hodges, president of Sidmouth branch of the Royal British Legion, who presented the George Hodges Shield to Michael Lee, director of Potbury’s of Sidmouth, whose shop won first prize in the large shop category.
Penny Newland, who runs No 83 for Cards, High Street, received a silver cup for her small shop display from Town Council chairman, Councillor Peter Sullivan.
Mrs Hodges said: “It was difficult to judge this year. Several windows were excellent and it was gratifying to see more entries this year, but we do miss Knights’ displays, having won the shield for some years.”
She said some shops only displayed their poppy theme for a few days.
“However,” she added, “our thanks go to everyone who entered this competition and better luck next year.”
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Churchyards are peaceful havens for wildlife
- 3 Well done to jubilee party organisers - lets hope the weather holds
- 4 Ottery's Animal Rescue Centre holds anniversary fundraising event
- 5 Sidmouth sailors host national competition
- 6 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 7 Rock Choir fundraiser for Sidmouth's Admiral Nurse
- 8 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 9 The Queen;s Jubilee celebrations in Ottery and Phyllis Baxter
- 10 Sidmouth's Fire Beacon Hill will live up to its name in Jubilee ceremony
Sue Pink, Sidmouth’s RBL poppy appeal organiser, attended the prize handover at Sidmouth War Memorial on Monday.