Probable closure for Green Close
- Credit: Archant
Devon County Council (DCC) has revealed that a Sidmouth care home will be among the first to close under its plans to cut costs.
Green Close will shut its doors for the last time in the first phase of the project if the authority’s recommendations are ratified.
Additional staff will be assigned to the home to support the manager and staff in communications with the residents and families.
In a letter to Sidmouth Town Council, Stuart Barker, DCC’s cabinet member for adult social care, wrote: “Service needs are changing and we know that those people with lower needs prefer to be supported in their own homes for as long as it is safe to do so.
“This is demonstrated by a continuing decline in residential care demand for older people, whereas demand for residential services for people with dementia continues.
You may also want to watch:
“In light of this, DCC will stop provision of residential care services in the 20 homes consulted on and will purchase alternative services for residents in the independent sector.
“This is not a view that has been reached lightly and we know it will be concerning for residents, their families and for staff.”
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Care bosses say it is more cost effective to buy services from the private sector than provide them, as it already does with 90 per cent of its residents.
DCC is also ceasing service at its 17 day centres over a phased period of time.