Proposed police station cuts: Ottery coverage pledge
POLICE coverage in Ottery will be totally unaffected by proposed cuts in station opening times, says Sergeant Simon Tennant. The Herald revealed last week opening hours at Ottery police station could be cut from nine a week to six to save cash in a fo
POLICE coverage in Ottery will be "totally unaffected" by proposed cuts in station opening times, says Sergeant Simon Tennant.
The Herald revealed last week opening hours at Ottery police station could be cut from nine a week to six to save cash in a force-wide review.
The town was handed its first ever part-time enquiry officer in October last year, when a new Broad Street police base opened.
Tracey Colletti is drafted in from Honiton to man the station's front desk from 9.30am to 12.30pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Devon and Cornwall Constabulary is carrying out a force-wide review of front-desk opening hours.
"It is looking at when we open the front door to allow members of the public to come in and make reports, and when people want stations open and for how long," said Sgt Tennant.
- 1 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 4 Welcome boost for road safety and a milestone for club
- 5 Seven rescue animals in Devon needing new forever homes
- 6 Ottery St Mary rings in the festivities
- 7 Perfect storm has created a housing crisis that needs fixing
- 8 Students carry on Christmas tradition by taking tree through town
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 10 Rugby classics in exotic locations
"Some mornings (in Ottery) we have one visitor and some we have six or seven."
"It needs to be enforced this is only a consultation document, it absolutely does not affect everything else. Police coverage will be totally unaffected.
"Even if it does end up open for six hours instead of nine, the new station (in Broad Street) more available than the old one.