Protesters spell out Knowle fears
CAMPAIGNERS scattered more than 1,000 letters of objection spelling out SOS- Save Our Sidmouth – on lawns under threat of development at Knowle.
Protesters fear the area will be lost to housing if East Devon District Council (EDDC) approves its own outline planning application for the site.
They have calculated that 50 homes and a care facility will “destroy” 30 per cent of parkland, many mature trees, and 60 per cent of formal gardens.
SOS members Kelvin Dent, Keith Northover, Michael Temple and Peter Atkinson spelt out their message to EDDC on Monday with just a few of the 1,215 letters of objection signed by members of the public.
The group has now collected 4,345 signatures on a petition asking the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles, to ‘call in’ the planning application.
You may also want to watch:
This would mean that the proposal will be assessed by an independent authority rather than EDDC being both the applicant and the planning authority.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 5 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future