Proud Beer volunteers praised for engagement
- Credit: Archant
Hardworking volunteers in Beer giving up their time to make a difference have been praised for their community spirit and dedication.
Residents have answered the call of parish councillors Maureen Westlake and Mandy Graham to form working parties to spruce up the village’s Jubilee area.
Some 20 helpers have joined the Beer Volunteer Group, taking on a number of projects including the ‘rejuvenation’ of the Self Shelter.
Cllr Westlake said the idea was to try and replace the man-power lost by council cutbacks.
She said: “The whole idea is we are trying to take up some of the slack and carry out some of the jobs that we are able to.
You may also want to watch:
“I am very thankful to these people; I cannot stress it enough how hard they have worked and what a difference they have made.
“I’m thrilled with the folk that have responded to the appeal for volunteers.”
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 3 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 4 Peninsula League season could be over
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 9 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
Fellow parish councillors have praised the efforts of both their colleagues and their ‘trusty band of volunteers’.
Annie Dallaway, parish clerk, said the councillors ‘proactive’ response has brought about a fantastic team to make sure the Jubilee area is cared for.
She added: “Volunteers have weeded and swept public areas, sanded down and varnished benches and carried out minor maintenance jobs.
“The volunteers deserve an accolade – they have demonstrated great community spirit, teamwork and a real pride in Beer.”
Cllr Westlake is inviting residents to bring their brooms down to the Jubilee to help with sweeping on Wednesday, August 3. A group of volunteers will be down from 8.30am.