National pub chain rules out plans to open in Sidmouth
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A pub giant has quashed rumours that it will be coming to Sidmouth.
Following the closure of a number of shops in the town there had been talks that J D Wetherspoon maybe taking the opportunity to take on one of the empty outlets in the town centre.
After hearing the rumour the Herald contacted the national chain to find out their plans.
A Wetherspoons spokesperson has now confirmed that they have no plans to come to the town.
So far this year, ten businesses have announced they are closing because of rising costs. Among those who have already left are Carinas, Hospiscare, NatWest, Sweet Temptation, Coles, New Look and Barclays. The Rendezvous and Pure Indulgence will be closing in the coming months and Govier’s of Sidmouth will go online only in April.
You may also want to watch:
So far Crane and Kind has replaced Sweet Temptations, opening in Market Place earlier this month, and last week it was revealed that an antiques centre would be replacing the Hospiscare shop in Fore Street - the owners plan to open next Saturday (December 1).
Watch this space for more information.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
- 10 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride