Public invited to Colaton Raleigh archaeological dig
AN unusual archaeology excavation will take place in Colaton Raleigh Common next month. The pebble cairns will be the centre of interest during the dig which will be led by Professor Christopher Tilley, Professor of Anthropology at University College Lond
AN unusual archaeology excavation will take place in Colaton Raleigh Common next month.
The pebble cairns will be the centre of interest during the dig which will be led by Professor Christopher Tilley, Professor of Anthropology at University College London.
It has been arranged by the East Devon Pebblebed Landscape Project, a long-term research scheme with an international team of scholars investigating the archaeological and historic landscapes of east Devon.
Jim Cobley, of the project, said: "The Pebble Bed heathlands of East Devon constitute a long low ridge forming a watershed between the Exe estuary to the west and the river Otter to the east.
You may also want to watch:
"Most of the area has not been ploughed and it has a significant archaeological and historic resource."
Another dig to take place in the area will be at Aylesbeare Common, where archaeologists will study a series of ring ditches and structures.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 6 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
Colaton Raleigh open days will be held on Sunday, September 13 and Saturday, September 19.
Booking is essential and can be made by post to James Cobley, Brookdene, Metcombe, Ottery St. Mary EX11 1RU or by email to email@example.com The times of the visit are 11am, 1.30pm and 3pm and are limited to only 40 people.
Suggested parking is at Joneys Cross car park (SY 05652 89792) on the A3052 Exeter to Sidmouth road and the meeting point is at
(SY05972 88667), approximately one mile away. Stout shoes and waterproofs are recommended.