Queen to visit Exeter in May
Walkabout in Exeter planned for the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh
AS part of a two-day visit to the West Country, Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Exeter in May.
In this, her diamond jubilee anniversary of her accession to the throne, the Queen will arrive in the West Country on Tuesday, May 1, visiting Sherborne Abbey, where, outside, will be a Mad Hatter’s tea party attended by local schoolchildren.
They will then attend Digby Memorial Hall, Sherborne, for a 1952 coffee morning, with guests and staff from residential homes in Dorset, before visiting the Rifles Regimental Museum, then Salisbury Cathedral where they will unveil a plaque, having viewed children working on a project about Magna Carta.
On Wednesday, May 2, the royal couple will arrive by train at Yeovil and after a visit to a diamond jubilee country fair at Ninesprings Country Park, and Crewkerne Town Hall, will board a helicopter to fly to Princesshay, Exeter, where they will conduct a ‘walkabout’ through the city centre and view an exhibition of youth and performing arts.
You may also want to watch:
The Queen and Prince Philip will travel by car to Exeter University where they will attend the opening ceremony for the new Forum Centre, with the Queen unveiling a plaque to officially open this new development at the university.
Later, the royal party will attend a reception and take lunch as guests of Exeter University to mark the end of their two-day tour of the South West.
- 1 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 2 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
- 5 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 6 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 7 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 9 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 10 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
Guests will be drawn from Devon and Cornwall and the university campus.