Quest for young achievers for awards
OUTSTANDING young people from across Devon will be honoured at the third annual Young People s achievement awards, taking place this summer.
OUTSTANDING young people from across Devon will be honoured at the third annual Young People's achievement awards, taking place this summer.
The hunt is now on for young people from all walks of life who have made a difference to their own, or someone else's life. They can be nominated by anyone, from teachers and youth workers to friends or family.
The competition, organised by Devon Children's Trust Board - the partnership led by Devon County Council which includes Devon Primary Care Trust, Devon and Cornwall Constabulary and other statutory and voluntary organisations, will honour young people in five categories: Healthy Lives; Staying Safe; Education; Participation and Positive Futures, and each category will have a winner and a runner-up. There will also be a group category, where young people who have worked together on a project or scheme will be honoured, and a new Community Award.
The winners will be presented with their awards at an Oscars-style ceremony taking place in the grounds of County Hall, Exeter on Thursday, June 25, and the event will be compered by two young people.
You may also want to watch:
People are now being asked to come forward with their nominations, and a website has also been launched for the event, which can be viewed on www.devon.gov.uk/youthawards.
Devon County Council's Executive Member for Children and Young People's Services, Cllr John Smith, said: "We are looking for people who have made a positive contribution to their school, youth club or local community. These young people may have inspired others, been instrumental in a successful project or made a real difference to other young people's lives.
- 1 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 2 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 3 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 6 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 7 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 8 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 9 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
"We are asking people to get in touch and tell us why they think this young person should be honoured with an award. Nominating is easy - it can be done on line, or by filling in a nomination form which can be obtained from Devon County Council by calling 01392 383698."
The closing date for nominations is Friday 3 April, 2009.
Further information can be obtained by visiting www.devon.gov.uk/youthawards.