Quilt fundraiser for Sidmouth
A SPECIAL quilt made by professional quilters from the Netherlands, is on offer to help raise funds to support Sidmouth s Kennaway House.
A SPECIAL quilt made by professional quilters from the Netherlands, is on offer to help raise funds to support Sidmouth's Kennaway House.
When Leslie Carol Taylor saw how much work her mother, Jackie Street, put in as chairman of the Friends of Kennaway House, the recently-restored Regency House off Coburg Road, Sidmouth, she wanted to help raise money to help maintain the community-use building.
As one of three women running North Sea Quilters in Holland, Leslie, who attended the official opening of Kennaway House, thought the best way would be to offer a �1,000 quilt in a prize draw.
Leslie, who fell in love with Holland when she went there as a teenager, said: "I know how hard my mother works and of the time and effort other people put in.
"So many volunteers have put hours and hours of their precious time into the restoration of this house and this is our way of helping them achieve their financial goal.
"This is what I do and we will be selling tickets up until December."
- 1 Farmers' naked calendar is a smash hit for charity
- 2 Ottery's Animal Rescue Centre holds anniversary fundraising event
- 3 Trio gear up for 'banger' car rally in aid of Motor Neurone Disease charity
- 4 Drunken gunman 'nearly shot dead' by police in village confrontation
- 5 Arson attack destroys Ottery NHS worker's car
- 6 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth
- 7 Sidmouth sailors host national competition
- 8 Sidbury gas pipe upgrade completed
- 9 Fire service appoints former police sergeant as ambassador for road safety initiative
- 10 Three Sidmouth sites included in review of East Devon employment sites
The quilt is of traditional design and was quilted by Leslie and the two other quilters, Maria and Marybeth, who complete sponsors North Sea Quilters.
They chose fabrics from the Moda Gypsy Rose collection to match the Regency style of Kennaway House and it was quilted on long-arm quilting machines using Vickie Malaski's Oriental Flower pattern.
Leslie said the quilt measures 230 centimetres square - big enough for a double bed.
Tickets are �2 each, available until December from Kennaway House. The draw will take place there on Thursday, December 10.