Quilt fundraiser for Sidmouth's Kennaway House
A SPECIAL quilt made by professional quilters from the Netherlands, is on offer to help raise funds to support Sidmouth s Kennaway House.
A SPECIAL quilt made by professional quilters from the Netherlands, is on offer to help raise funds to support Sidmouth's Kennaway House.
When Leslie Carol Taylor saw how much work her mother, Jackie Street, put in as chairman of the Friends of Kennaway House, the recently-restored Regency House off Coburg Road, Sidmouth, she wanted to help raise money to help maintain the community-use building.
As one of three women running North Sea Quilters in Holland, Leslie, who attended the official opening of Kennaway House, thought the best way would be to offer a �1,000 quilt in a prize draw.
Leslie, who fell in love with Holland when she went there as a teenager, said: "I know how hard my mother works and of the time and effort other people put in.
You may also want to watch:
"So many volunteers have put hours and hours of their precious time into the restoration of this house and this is our way of helping them achieve their financial goal.
"This is what I do and we will be selling tickets up until December."
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 3 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 4 Supermarket makes a super gesture to help community food charity
- 5 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 6 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 7 Remembering the golden age of Exmouth
- 8 Property of the Week: Green Gables
- 9 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 10 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
The quilt is of traditional design and was quilted by Leslie and the two other quilters, Maria and Marybeth, who complete sponsors North Sea Quilters.
They chose fabrics from the Moda Gypsy Rose collection to match the Regency style of Kennaway House and it was quilted on long-arm quilting machines using Vickie Malaski's Oriental Flower pattern.
Leslie said the quilt measures 230 centimetres square - big enough for a double bed.
Tickets are �2 each, available until December from Kennaway House. The draw will take place there on Thursday, December 10.