Rainbow of colour at flower festival to boost funds
- Credit: Archant
The Friends of Salcombe Regis Church enjoyed a successful flower festival to help boost its fundraising efforts.
The group has set aside £7,500 to pay for the reconstruction of a medieval fresco in the church.
A conservationist will be visiting the parish church to determine what the painting could have been like before it was covered up.
Dr Philip Atkinson, chairman of the friends’ group, said: “The nature of the friends is we only look after the fabric of the building, nothing to do with the worship or the service.
“We have sufficient funds at the moment to pay for the fresco and it was approved at the last annual meeting by the friends to spend the money on the fresco.”
You may also want to watch:
Following approval from the parochial church council (PCC), the group is hoping work will begin towards the end of June.
Volunteers from the group decorated the religious building in a sea of rainbow colours over the weekend.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 10 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
Visitors will be able to view the floral displays until tomorrow (Saturday).