RBL seeks volunteers to help with Poppy Appeal
- Credit: Archant
The Royal British Legion (RBL) is seeking volunteers to help distribute poppies and allow Sidmouth residents to show their respect to the armed services.
Selling gets under way on Saturday, October 25, running from the Poppy Appeal co-ordinator’s Temple Street shop.
That will be the point of contact for anyone wanting to volunteer or order a wreath or a window dressing ahead of Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.
Poppies will be on sale from October 25 until November 8 and, for the first time, the RBL will be able to sell on the streets for the whole of the second week rather than just two days.
The appeal co-ordinator, a former serviceman who wants to remain anonymous, thanked Devon County Council for granting permission and Waitrose, The Co-operative and Lidl for allowing the selling of poppies on their premises.
You may also want to watch:
Remembrance Sunday on November 9 will be marked with a parade that will congregate outside The Co-operative in High Street at 10.15am before leaving at 10.30am for a service at the war memorial and the parish church.
Sidmouth RBL chairman Dave O’Connor is seeking eight youngsters to lay wreaths at the service to represent the eight servicemen who lost their lives in conflict in 1914.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 10 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
Armistice Day on November 11 will be commemorated with prayers at the church.
Call the co-ordinator on 01395 515614.
Youngsters who want to lay a wreath can call Dave on 01395 516160.