RBL seeks volunteers to help with Poppy Appeal
- Credit: Archant
The Royal British Legion (RBL) is seeking volunteers to help distribute poppies and allow Sidmouth residents to show their respect to the armed services.
Selling gets under way on Saturday, October 25, running from the Poppy Appeal co-ordinator’s Temple Street shop.
That will be the point of contact for anyone wanting to volunteer or order a wreath or a window dressing ahead of Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day.
Poppies will be on sale from October 25 until November 8 and, for the first time, the RBL will be able to sell on the streets for the whole of the second week rather than just two days.
The appeal co-ordinator, a former serviceman who wants to remain anonymous, thanked Devon County Council for granting permission and Waitrose, The Co-operative and Lidl for allowing the selling of poppies on their premises.
You may also want to watch:
Remembrance Sunday on November 9 will be marked with a parade that will congregate outside The Co-operative in High Street at 10.15am before leaving at 10.30am for a service at the war memorial and the parish church.
Sidmouth RBL chairman Dave O’Connor is seeking eight youngsters to lay wreaths at the service to represent the eight servicemen who lost their lives in conflict in 1914.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 7 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
Armistice Day on November 11 will be commemorated with prayers at the church.
Call the co-ordinator on 01395 515614.
Youngsters who want to lay a wreath can call Dave on 01395 516160.