Readers’ letters: The King’s School uniform change ‘completely pointless’
- Credit: Archant
Opinion - ‘£200 to replace my children’s uniforms is a significant amount for my family’
I was very disappointed to hear that The King’s School wishes to change its uniform.
I think the current uniform is excellent. It is smart and, in particular, does not resemble those uniforms worn by private and selective school students, and so does not offer any elitist
As a former student of King’s myself, when it was a selective grammar school with compulsory blazers and white shirts, and where the local secondary modern schools wore grey, I was delighted when my children started this year in year seven that the uniform is much more suited to the daily activities of children in school, rather than to workers in a bank.
You may also want to watch:
A cost of £200 to replace my children’s uniforms may not seem much to many middle-class parents or teachers at the school, but it is a significant amount for my family, especially when I feel that the school’s time would be better spent on improving the education provided, rather than changing the external appearance of the students.
I cannot agree that the proposed new uniforms depicted in the ‘consultation’ letter look anything other than rather scruffy. Changing the uniform to me seems completely pointless.
- 1 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 4 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
I sincerely hope that the idea is abandoned.
Click here to read about The King’s School’s proposed uniform changes.