Recast vote sees Ottery planning application approved
- Credit: Archant
A development for 10 homes at the Old Manse has been given the green light.
Plans to create 10 homes in the centre of Ottery St Mary have been given the green light, despite concerns over parking and access.
The proposal, seeking to convert The Old Manse, in Mill Street, into 10 new dwellings, was approved at East Devon District Council’s development management committee on Tuesday (December 5).
Previously, concerns have been raised by the town council and neighbouring residents in Franklea Close over access to the site and the lack of parking with four spaces being created for 10 homes.
The ground floor of the building is currently used for financial and professional services but the applicant is seeking to add retail, eating or drinking as potential business uses.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking at the meeting, town councillor Ian Holmes said this development is ‘totally inappropriate’.
He added: “The present application is over development of the site and there is totally inadequate car parking.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
“The access is too steep and the residents of Franklea Close will suffer from cars parking there.”
Cllr Roger Giles said: “To my mind, to provide this development with four car parking spaces is totally unacceptable.
“This is key site at the heart of Ottery and I do not think it right that an unacceptable design will be forced on the people of Ottery.”
After the initial vote on a motion to approve the application was tied at seven each, committee chairman cllr Mike Howe re-cast his vote to give the application to go-ahead.
Cllr David Key added: “With regard to the access for the building of the properties I can’t see a problem.
“This site is derelict, it needs something doing to it and I think what is planned there is very, very good.
“There are car parks in Ottery St Mary that people can actually walk to.
“I honestly cannot see a problem with this development at all.”
During the meeting, concerns were raised over the district council’s policy of having two spaces per dwelling, however, Cllr Howe pointed out that in sustainable areas such as town centres this is not the case.
Councillor Paul Carter: “I would think that the four spaces for 10 homes are probably better. If you’ve got four cars going down Franklea Close is probably better than 20.
“Four would probably be similar to what is there now – I don’t see that as a major change.”