Red, white and blue in Ottery St Mary for Queen’s birthday do
- Credit: Archant
Plenty of patriotic fun planned this weekend
A right royal knees-up is planned in Ottery this weekend to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday.
There will be something for everyone in a fun-packed programme of festivities tomorrow (Saturday).
A special lunch will take place for pensioners in The Lamb and Flag, in Batts Lane, tomorrow from 12.30pm to 3pm. Financed with funds from Betty Williams’ Christmas dinner, the event is free and tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
In the evening, a celebration ball will be hosted at the Tumbling Weir Hotel at 7pm, where guests will be treated to a three-course meal, disco and raffle.
You may also want to watch:
The dress code will be red, white or blue for ladies and red or black tie for men.
On Sunday, the Land of Canaan will be transformed into a ‘street party’ from 1pm, with fun, fancy dress, refreshments and entertainment for all.
- 1 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'
- 8 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
Groups can hire tables for £5 and bring along their own chairs, picnics and decorations, with prizes for the best-dressed spread.
There will also be a treasure hunt, stalls aplenty; music from Ottery Town Band; a bar and barbecue courtesy of the Tar Barrels committee; and a duck race from the Tumbling Weir leat at 4pm organised by the Rotary Club of the Otter Valley. Members of the Station youth centre will be lighting a beacon at 6pm.