Register to have your say on plans to cut community hospital beds in East Devon
- Credit: Archant
Health bosses say spaces are filling up fast and are urging people to secure a place at public meetings
Residents are being urged to secure a chance to have their say on plans to cut hospital beds in East Devon.
Health bosses say a series of consultation events on plans that would see Sidmouth lose its 24 inpatient beds are fast filling up - but have promised that if demand proves too high, they will host additional meetings.
The first public talks held by the NHS Northern, Eastern and Western Devon Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) will take place at The Knowle in Sidmouth on Monday, November 7, at 1pm to 3.30pm and 5.30pm to 8pm.
There are four options on the table and two of them, including the preferred choice, would see Sidmouth Victoria Hospital lose all of its inpatient beds. The public is being asked to determine where the remaining beds should be located.
The CCG says the changes will enable a move away from hospitals to a home-based model of care and would help plug a £384million funding deficit by 2010/21.
But campaigners argue the proposals are ‘flawed’ and are urging people to fight against any bed cuts.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Sidmouth Hospice at Home fulfils local man's final wish
- 3 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 4 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 5 Strong demand for properties continues into the new year
- 6 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 7 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 8 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 9 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 10 'Good news - a new restaurant in Sidmouth!'
The CCG says people need to register to guarantee a place.
To register, call 01392 356084 or email d-ccg.YourFutureCare@nhs.net.
The consultation document is available online at www.newdevonccg.nhs.uk.
Paper consultation forms can be picked up from Sidmouth’s hospital, library, leisure centre, town council offices and pharmacies.
The following public consultation events are being held:
• Knowle, Sidmouth: November 7, 1pm to 3.30pm and 5.30pm to 8pm.
• Ocean, Queens Drive, in Exmouth: November 8, 1.30pm to 4pm.
• Exmouth Community College: November 22, 5.30pm to 8pm.
• The Beehive, Honiton: November 10, 10am to 12.30pm.
• Whipton Community Hall: Exeter, November 18, 2.30pm to 5pm.
• St Luke’s College, Exeter: November 21, 6pm to 8pm.
• Seaton Town Hall, November 24: 2pm to 4.30pm and 5.30pm to 8pm.
• The Beehive, Honiton: November 29, 12pm to 2.30pm.