Rescuers search for missing boys off Sidmouth
RESCUERS spent more than an hour scouring the coast off Sidmouth for two missing boys – when they were safe and well on the beach nearby.
Sidmouth Lifeboat and Beer Coastguard were scrambled on Saturday (July 20) when two brothers in a kayak were reported missing by their mum and dad.
The youngsters had become separated from their parents, who were swimming, between Sidmouth and Ladram Bay at around midday.
The lifeboat was on the water within minutes of being tasked at 12.20pm and joined Beer Coastguard in carrying out an extensive close inshore search between Sidmouth beach and Otterton Ledge.
The boys were located safe and well on Ladram Beach at around 1.30pm.
A Portland Coastguard spokesperson said: “After an extensive search the boys were located by their father on the beach at Ladram Bay.
“The plan had always been for the family to reunite at Ladram but the parents had not stuck to it until advised to go there by coastguards.
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 3 South West warning for drought issued
- 4 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 5 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 6 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 7 Closure confirmed for Sidmouth retirement home
- 8 Heatwave may have caused latest Sidmouth cliff falls
- 9 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 10 Time to start preparing for potentially harsh winter
“The boys had seen the lifeboat but not connected it with themselves.”