Rescuers search for missing boys off Sidmouth
RESCUERS spent more than an hour scouring the coast off Sidmouth for two missing boys – when they were safe and well on the beach nearby.
Sidmouth Lifeboat and Beer Coastguard were scrambled on Saturday (July 20) when two brothers in a kayak were reported missing by their mum and dad.
The youngsters had become separated from their parents, who were swimming, between Sidmouth and Ladram Bay at around midday.
The lifeboat was on the water within minutes of being tasked at 12.20pm and joined Beer Coastguard in carrying out an extensive close inshore search between Sidmouth beach and Otterton Ledge.
The boys were located safe and well on Ladram Beach at around 1.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
A Portland Coastguard spokesperson said: “After an extensive search the boys were located by their father on the beach at Ladram Bay.
“The plan had always been for the family to reunite at Ladram but the parents had not stuck to it until advised to go there by coastguards.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 10 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
“The boys had seen the lifeboat but not connected it with themselves.”